Thursday, June 28, 2012

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew by Margaret Sidney


Title : Five Little Peppers And How They Grew 

Author : Margaret Sidney
Reviewed By : Sandhya's A (11 years)

I have read many stories about families. This one is about a very poor family – five children Ben, Polly, Joel, David and Phronsie - and their mother, ‘Mamsie’. Their father dies when Phronsie was a little baby.
The children barely have enough to eat, let alone to go to school. Mrs Pepper has to earn a living through sewing for other people, so Polly has to take care of the house.  To make it easier for her, all she wants is a new stove. It is difficult to get even that much.

After a spell of measles for the whole family, Phronsie makes a new friend, Jasper, who is very rich. Is it possible for Jasper and his father to help the Peppers?

This book has helped me realize that I am one of the few who have so many privileges like an education and 3 good meals every day. It reminded me of another book I have read, called Little Women. I am sure that there are many more gems like this book yet for me to discover.

This book is an abridged version from the Classic Starts series. I am sure I will enjoy the original just as much.   

1 comment:

  1. Superbly reviewed!! Keep it up!
    Though only somewhat similar, you might also like "The Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.

    Keep reading and reviewing!
    Good luck!
    :)

    ReplyDelete